Saturday, June 5, 2010

Update on Quilt for Agatha Victims in Guatemala


Hello Quilt community! 


Commitment
We have had 4 people respond and commit to providing a quilt or two each! This is great and very much needed (you all have no idea). I know we'll need a lot more and exact amounts will be posted as soon as we know. Until then, I am going to make as many as I can with what I have in my humble stash. I just need to go buy batting in bulk somewhere as inexpensive as I can get!  Please, Email sharingquilts(at)yahoo.com to get on the list to commit to a quilt (or more) for a family that is now homeless because it rained so much that mud came down a hill and took their home.
  
The Need
I am typing this after my husband just attended a meeting of local government officials on many levels and area NGOs. A lot was learned about the exact amount of damage 10 minutes from our home and across three main villages/cities. After, speaking with my husband about the meeting, I asked what he felt we should do in our concentration of relief efforts. Until now we have been giving to a "general pool". He has picked a town that we will focus on and talk with the leader of that town (equivalent to a mayor) and talk about the 20 families on his list (he brought it to the meeting to get help for them) that, now, no longer have home and will not be able to rebuild where they were. The mayor has the families names and their needs, but we were not able to obtain that list tonight.

It's Personal
Now with this more focused approach, we can make this effort of relief more personal. We will adopt a family at a time as we can and help with their need(s).It will be so great to present a quilt that YOU made and send photos back of them being wrapped in your love! I'll hug them for you too!

Round 1 of many
So please keep inquiring to help! I have a current deadline of July 1st for this first round. I will be personally picking these quilts (or quilt tops) up in the states and bringing them back to Guatemala. I have some options in Mid to Late August for more to come down with people I know flying from the states to Guatemala. They will be handing them to me and as described above, we'll personally take them to a family that is on the mayor's list of homeless!

Photo by Genesis Davies - This is a cornstalk/bamboo home blown/washed down, basically destroyed.

Bless you and thank you for your heart in Sharing Quilts!
Jackie Davis

No comments:

Post a Comment

We want to hear from you... Leave your comment here!